Even when we’re being as careful as we can, accidents happen. If someone does get shocked, you can help them — and yourself — by remembering the following tips:

  • When someone receives an electrical shock, their breathing and heartbeat could stop. Even small electric currents can damage or prove fatal to the brain, heart and lungs. Electric shocks can also burn skin, nerves, tissue and muscles inside the body.
  • If a person has been shocked, whether indoors or outdoors, do NOT touch the person or attempt to move them. Turn off the main source of power and immediately call 911. If the victim is not breathing or their heart has stopped, be absolutely sure they are no longer connected to the source of the shock, and then begin mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or CPR.
  • Electricity travels through conductors such as metal (copper, aluminum, iron, etc.), water, trees, moist soil and human skin. People are excellent conductors because the human body is about 70 percent water. Insulators are non-conducting materials, such as glass, rubber, plastic and dry wood.

Know what to do in an electrical emergency. Teach your children about safety and be aware of electrical hazards indoors and outdoors. A little precaution can go a long way when it comes to safety.