Anyone interested in being considered for employment with Black River MUST have a current application on file. Applications and resumes can be emailed to: BREC-HR@blackriver.coop or mailed to: Human Resources, Black River Electric, PO Box 130, Sumter, SC 29151.
Black River Electric Cooperative, Inc. is a critical infrastructure employer. We do not currently offer any remote (work from home) positions.
Although critical infrastructure employers have an obligation to manage the continuation of work, we endeavor to respond to COVID-19 in a way that best protects the health of workers and the general public by following S.C. DHEC guidelines for essential workers.
Lineman Trainee (Apprentice)
- Work location is predominantly outside in the field, performing work in all weather conditions. Required to work in extreme weather conditions such as but not limited to rain, snow, sleet, heat, etc.
- Position requires on call work at various times which may include every day and night – 7 days a week.
- Position requires working at high elevations. Climbing poles, working in a bucket and climbing ladders.
- Position requires ground work, digging and operation of heavy equipment of large trucks.
- Routine use of hand tools and routine lifting of heavy equipment. Possible lifting up to 100lbs on occasion.
- Frequent handling of materials.
Essential Job Functions
- Communicate verbally and understand audible signals in emergency/safety situations
- Interact with and provide exceptional service to our membership
- Maintains three phase system to include 7.2/12.47 kv
- Troubleshoot electrical outages, power quality and complete installation and maintenance work related to all aspects of electric distribution and transmission systems
- Perform rubber gloving work to safely work with primary/high-voltage and low-voltage lines and equipment
- Install and retire overhead and underground electric lines
- Perform sustained work at heights (up to 60 ft) including climbing and working from poles, bucket work and ladder work
- Repair and install street lights
- Frame, install, or replace poles
- Maintain lines and support structures in substations
- Operate heavy equipment including diggers, trenchers, back hoes, and bucket trucks
- Remove tree limbs near electric lines
- Work overtime outside of scheduled hours, participating in on-call duty rotation schedule, in response to acute and/ or planned service needs
- Complete documentation for project planning and completion
- Respond from home to primary work location within a reasonable amount of time
- Perform service and member service work including disconnects and reconnects
- Locate buried lines including electric and gas underground services
- Meter reading and associated meter reading processes
- Organize equipment and perform regular and preventative maintenance
- This position does require continuous learning, on-the job training, classroom/coursework and may include study and testing related to linework and safety
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to climb utility poles and work from elevated surfaces
- Ability to work for prolonged periods of time in personal protective equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate with coworkers, members and the public
- Commitment to safe working practices
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to adapt to technological changes as they are implemented
- Valid Commercial driver’s license and satisfactory driving record or ability to obtain CDL within year of employment
- Safe work record and a firm commitment to safety
- Able and willing to travel on a regular basis
- Able to lift, push, pull and carry at least 75 lbs.
- Requires frequent sitting, standing, walking and climbing, and exposure to seasonal elements
- May be required to stand, kneel and work in confined spaces for an extended period of time, and must be able to fit into a confined space rescue harness.
All Black River Electric Cooperative employees are required to adhere to co-op safety standards, directly related to OSHA guidelines.
Black River Electric Cooperative, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.