Anyone interested in being considered for employment with Black River MUST have a current application on file. Applications and resumes can be emailed to: BREC-HR@blackriver.coop or mailed to: Human Resources, Black River Electric, PO Box 130, Sumter, SC 29151.
Black River Electric Cooperative, Inc. is a critical infrastructure employer. We do not currently offer any remote (work from home) positions.
Although critical infrastructure employers have an obligation to manage the continuation of work, we endeavor to respond to COVID-19 in a way that best protects the health of workers and the general public by following S.C. DHEC guidelines for essential workers.
It is the preference of the cooperative that all employees live within Lee, Clarendon, Kershaw or Sumter counties. This preference is based on community involvement and responsiveness of employees as it relates to the service (including after hours and emergency response) we are expected to provide to our membership. *Response time to an employee’s respective on-call duty location shall not exceed 50 minutes.*
Under regular supervision is responsible for the activities relating to the position of Billing Support in support of the Billing department. Such responsibilities include organizing files, record keeping, data entry, document review, posting mail, and carrying out various clerical duties. This position will be responsible for the preparation and review of documents, reports, etc.
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of one year experience in an administrative position or related experience within an office environment. Must have proven ability to complete tasks with efficiency while maintaining high accuracy. Must have demonstrated the ability to maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive information. Must be experienced in Microsoft Word and Excel with excellent data entry skills. Must have any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Processing Mail
• returned mail
• address changes
• department distribution
- Capital Credit return
• Administrative Data entry
• Document preparation and review
• Assists with spreadsheet management
• Assists with member research
• Billing changes
• Member Account updates
• Voucher reconciliation
- Online Utility Exchange
• data entry & reconciliation
• Responsible for scanning billing records
• Responsible for filing drafts and various member records
• Assist Billing department
Additional Job Functions
Miscellaneous duties as directed by the Billing Supervisor.
Member Services Trainee
Under regular supervision provides member services through such duties as posting payments received, maintaining and reconciling cash drawers and providing information.
Essential Job Functions
- Posts payments, counts cash, remits correct change, and validates receipts for payments made for all account holders (members, employees, agencies, etc).
- Responsible for security of cash drawers, kiosk night deposit and vault. Maintains keys for cash drawers, change drawers, cabinet, and counter.
- Balance drawers daily to proper amount.
- Answers phone calls directed to the Cashier area.
- Greets lobby members and directs them to the proper department.
- Records various information to update accounts
- Provides back-up assistance to various member service areas, after adequate training in Member Services.
- Answers outage and high-volume overflow calls, after adequate training.
- Operates a variety of office equipment to include a computer, calculator, printer, fax machine, phone system, typewriter, postage machine, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Additional Job Functions
Attends and participates in employee meetings, Cooperative annual meeting, and other meetings of public interest. Also attends various meetings sponsored by affiliated organizations and other seminars or programs designated by supervisor to have a direct and relevant impact on the performance of “Essential Job Functions.” Performs other related duties as required
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of one year cashiering, member service or related experience with knowledge of utility functions, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
*Associate’s degree or higher preferred.
All Black River Electric Cooperative employees are required to adhere to co-op safety standards, directly related to OSHA guidelines.
Black River Electric Cooperative, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.